Sew-A-Long 2012 intro

i did it!! i finally got my idea for this year's BOM out of my head and committed to graph paper. i'm not going to call it a BOM, cause it's not; it's more of a sew-a-long, so that what i'm calling it. all related posts will have the SAL 2012 as a tag label for easy reference later.

the quilt will be 75inches by 90inches pieced. the measurements do not include any borders, i'll leave that up to you. i have dreams of a pieced border, but we'll have to see when it's done.

here's some thought points:
  • i designed this with a scrap purge in mind. meaning, that there will be no need to go buy any fabric! you could, but it will be hard to figure out what would go where as i'm not writing the directions that way. if i choose an orange for a block and i don't have enough of that specific orange scrap, i'll cut into another to make the block....cool, huh? i do have some fat quarters sitting around that i will use for the 'larger' blocks.
  • there won't be a definite posting date. i will post the next step as i go. i will be making this along with you guys, so it could be every couple of weeks, or once a month *shrug* we'll just have to see. all steps will be available throughout the year.
  • there will be five different block sizes (so far). some times you'll make X number of this size block and X number of this size block. at the end of the year, i'll show you how it all magically fits together. it might also take a bit longer than a year, but i'll try to keep it within a year, but no promises...after the last two years of BOMs here, i want something a little bit more relaxed and not have the stress of getting something posted by a specific date.
this is meant to be fun and burn through some scraps. so, you wanna play?

17 comments:

  1. Oh goody, a quilt along. I LOVE quilt alongs. I wanna play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got my attention. I'd love to play along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got my interest up. Can't wait to see what we stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in... ready for a more relaxed approach to quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely interested. Last night I started to assemble the quilt top for the 2011 BOTM. The blocks are stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lot of fun...and my goodness do I ever have a lot of scraps!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love scrap quilts. Last night I finished binding the quilt I made from Bonnie Hunter's Orca Bay mystery . It's huge and weighs a ton and it seems it should have made a dent in the scraps. It does not appear that it did so another scrap quilt seems like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will probably try to do this one.... although I swore I was NOT NOT going to start another one this year... too many that I am working on now... I need a bulletin board just to keep track of all the ones I am working or need to finish but am interested in the different sizes and scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet HamiltonJanuary 17, 2012

    Would love to try this. I, too, said I was only going to work on UFO's, but it's hard to resist the temptation. Can hardly wait to see the first step.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't quilt (because of the stroke) now, so love watching what you guys are able to do. I love Shannon's creativity, so am looking forward to see where this goes. So, I can't participate, but will be watching, and offering "support," from here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What? Something relaxed and fun? And posted ???, *Shrug* when you feel like it? LOL!! Who wouldn't love that? If I have the time and the scraps, I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in. I've subscribed to your blog so I'll know when the time comes for the first block. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your previous BOM'S look wonderful, I've already committed to 3 other BOM's. I'd like to do yours also. Maybe I'll just WAL(watch-a-long) Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, theres tons of scraps screaming DO IT! DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would love to participate even though i have zero time to commit to new projects but love the blocks!! Is it too late to sign up? Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for taking the time to comment, they feed my blog. i do my best to reply to each and every one! you can bet your comments are ALWAYS read and appreciated.